The main function of housing production is to produce housing at reasonable prices within the boundaries of Helsinki. The city’s own housing production plays an important part in generating a diverse population structure in new residential areas.
In accordance with the guidelines set by the City of Helsinki, housing production:
- produces housing units in sizes that correspond to demand; however, in HITAS owner-occupied housing production, the focus is on family-sized units
- produces new blocks of flats that offer individual solutions for occupants
- promotes energy-efficiency and use of renewable energy sources
- produces parking solutions where the costs are more than before directed to the users of parking spaces
- produces fill-in housing in existing residential areas to solidify the population base and diversify the population structure
In addition, housing production develops the city’s existing housing base taking into account the life cycle concept.